The end of October is always bittersweet. October is sort of the calm before the holiday storm and I love the changing of the seasons. Yes, it continues into November and I do love the holidays, but there is something so romantic about October. It is always a very busy month and I often find myself looking back wishing I had slowed down to savor it just a little bit more.
Total miles: 125
Longest run: 13.75
Total days running: 25
YTD mileage: 1,728.75
Miles to goal (2,014 for the year): 285.25
Some of my favorite October moments included:
- My BIRTHDAY! The age thing… the getting older thing… they don’t bother me. I’m grateful for each and every year.
- The celebrations and gatherings with friends and family to commemorate said birthday.
- Being at the Portland Marathon to support BFP. Not running it wasn’t as disappointing as I thought because I was so happy to be there to cheer for my dear friend.
- The remainder of the cross-country season. Watching these young athletes blossom was such a phenomenal experience and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to impact their lives.
- Starting a new job. By the end of the month I was starting to feel settled and really liking it. It is a great fit for me right now.
- Having lunch with one of my closest friends from high school while she was home visiting her family.
- The conclusion of my daughters high school soccer career. Thirteen years of watching her on the field and pouring herself into a sport that she loves has given me such great joy.
- Halloween. I love the excitement that Halloween brings. For both the kids and adults!
I’m coming to terms with my super low mileage for the month. Working three jobs took its toll on my ability to keep up with any regular running schedule. If I continue to coach XC, which I absolutely hope to, this is just going to be the way it is. Honestly, I’m fine with it too. The rewards of coaching far outweigh my own mileage and training for a month or two.
November looks promising. A slower schedule and a renewed excitement for training in preparation for Boston has me eager to dive in! I look forward to seeing what the month brings!