Earlier today, I took an assessment in which the intention was to identify my top strengths. I had never heard of Strengths Finder until I was hired by my employer a couple of months ago. It is a 177 question quiz which helps to identify, of 34, your top five talents and natural tendencies, or your personal strengths.
A couple of my results surprised me. The others did not. Some had me nearly in tears because they resonated so deeply. I’m pretty impressed and excited for guidance to help me capitalize on the things that I’m already good at.
You wanna know my top five?
1. Futuristic. This is my number one! Before I read the description, I was like WTF?! But this: ” You are a dreamer who sees visions of what could be and who cherishes those visions. When the present proves too frustrating and the people around you too pragmatic, you conjure up your visions of the future and they energize you.” Whoa!
2. Empathy. This one did not surprise me. “You can sense the emotions of those around you.” I discovered that I am somewhat of an intuitive empath a few years ago. Other identifiers include: “Sensitive to the feelings of others, you readily gauge the emotional tone of a room”. (I’ve used this “gift” many times over the years as a yoga instructor.) “Witnessing the happiness of others brings you pleasure.” “Because you are observant of how others are feeling, you are likely to intuit what is about to happen before it is common knowledge”. Yep. Crazy!
3. Positivity. I think this one is dead on!! “You are generous to praise, quick to smile, and always on the lookout for the positive in the situation.” “People want to be around you. Their world looks better around you because your enthusiasm is contagious.” “You celebrate every achievement. You find ways to make everything more exciting and vital.” “You tend to be more enthusiastic and energetic than most people.” At least this is how I hope others see me because I do try to be a positive ray of light in other people’s lives and am always looking for the good in every situation.
4. Developer. “You see potential in others.” (Both this one and futuristic listed coaching as one of my talents.) “Signs of growth in others are your fuel.” I get it. I feel like this trait has been guiding me over the past couple of years.
5. Restorative. I wasn’t sure about this one either until I read that one of the identifiers says “constant improvement is one of your hallmarks”. Restoratives are often overly self-critical. Gulp. I guess I never view myself as a problem solver or fixer but it seems that I have a natural gift for being one. I see this more within myself but it is interesting, right?
I’ve had fun with this new insight today. I’ve been watching my thoughts, actions, and words to see which strength is dominating and how each of them play roles in the various aspects of my life.
Futuristic is the one dominant at the moment because I’m thinking about heading to bed in the very near future! Goodnight!